The Department of Commerce of Government College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Sanquelim, Goa, was established in the year 1988. Bachelor of Commerce, a full time three years undergraduate degree course is offered by Department of Commerce since 1988. The course is affiliated to Goa University. The Department was initially headed by Shri Chandrashekhar Rao(Retired), Assoc. Prof. in Commerce, since its inception. From a modest beginning with around four faculty members and 140 students of First Year B.Com., the department has grown in size and structure presently having 321 students enrolled for B.Com. course and a total 12 faculty members, out of which 5 are Assoc. Prof.(Full time), 3 are Asst. Prof. (Full time), 1 Asst. Prof.(Contract basis) and 3 Asst. Prof. (Lecture basis). Two teachers of the department have been awarded Ph.D for their profound research work. Most of our faculty is involved in research work and also shoulders maximum administrative work of the college along with academic work. This lends strength to the undergraduate teaching in the department. The department is glad to have the university rankers right from the first outgoing batch of Third Year B. Com. till now.
The Department offers B.Com.(Honors) with 3 specialisations i.e. Accounting, Cost Accounting and Business Management under CBCS structure of Goa University. Besides this, a variety of generic elective and skill enhancement courses are offered at First Year and Second Year level. The Department occupies a place in the specially developed commerce block in the college with well-designed classrooms with latest seating arrangements including smart boards and internet facilities.
The Department has completed 33 years in the field of education and has produced and continues to produce some of the finest commerce graduates in the state of Goa. Many students have gone for career advancement by doing further studies like M.Com. L.L.B., MBA, CA, etc. Most of the alumni of commerce department are well established in the field of academics, industry, politics, civil administration, professionals like Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, Cost accountants, etc. in most reputed organisations and institutions. Two of the ex-students of commerce department are working as a faculty of commerce department at present.
With diverse student population mostly from rural areas surrounding the college, the department strives to deliver undergraduate teaching in a meaningful manner and create employable graduates in the field of commerce. The department ensures that the internal assessment in the form of assignments, tests, quizzes and presentations is done in such a manner which provides students the necessary push to excel in their course work. It also stresses on project based learning. Students are motivated towards group and independent learning through project work especially at Third Year level. This gives students a sense of team work. The College library has full course material of commerce in terms of books, journals and magazines which provides a base of leaning for the students. The library also offers eLearning for the students. The faculty of commerce use best in line ICT facilities to motivate students in classroom teaching.
Besides classroom teaching, field/industrial visits and study trips and tours also form part of the teaching learning process. The department stresses upon all possible opportunities within the course structure to motivate students towards independent and active learning in the course of their choice. The students also develop leadership qualities and competitive spirit among themselves by participating in curricular and extra-curricular activities organized by the Department, various Associations and Clubs of the College and other colleges in the state of Goa.
The Department is committed to create a contented environment for the students where they discover their potential and grow as individual during the entire three years degree course. Each student undergoes an orientation at the beginning of the course. Then the formal teaching learning process begins along with intra semester assessment and the student finally undergoes the semester end assessment which shows the performance of the student in the course selected by them. In turn, this assessment is used for overall growth of the student community. The project learning criteria at third year level leads to active involvement of the students in the teaching learning process and also develops a sense of research aptitude among them which is crucially important for their future growth. Workshops and guest lectures by resource persons are also organized for the benefit of the students.
In particular, every year the following student enrichment programs are organized by the department:
- Workshops on financial education
- Guest lectures on Careers in commerce, banking, insurance, etc. specially by our alumni
- Field trips to malls and industries to gain practical knowledge of the concepts taught in classroom.
- Quizzes and Essay writing competitions in the subject of commerce to enhance their memory and writing skills.
Besides, teachers of the department continually attend and participate in seminars, workshops, conferences, etc. to enhance their knowledge and be with the pace of changing environment to cater to the needs of the students. A crucial aspect of capacity building is to organize enrichment programs on regular basis for the teachers as well as students. The focus is mainly on enhancing critical thinking among the students community. The faculties of commerce department is glad to undergo such intense training as and when necessitates. This was moreover seen during covid19 pandemic period. From offline to online teaching and even conducting exams in online mode without any first-hand experience was a great task for the teachers as well as students, was conducted smoothly without any hassle.
Mr. M.B.Ghosarwadkar, Associate Professor in Commerce, has been associated with Commerce Department, Government College, Sanquelim, Goa, since 11th September 1990.
Teaching Subjects/ Courses: Industrial Management, Human Resource Management, Retail Management Strategies and Advanced Company Accounts. He is a Member of Sub-Board of Studies in Commerce (PG) under the GOA BUSINESS SCHOOL vide ORDER No. GU/Acad-PG/47/Sub- Bos-Comm(PG)/213 dated 24/09/2019. The term of the Sub-Board is for a period of three years.
Participated in following academic events:
- Webinar on Academic Publishing- Do’s and Don’ts organized by DHE on 12/06/2020
- Two day State Level Seminar on “New Education Policy 2020”on 19/8/2020 and 20/8/2020 organised by Staff Academy and IQAC of Government College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Sanquelim, Goa.
- Webinar on NDLI organized by DHE on 23/09/2020
- Academic workshop on teaching of Human Resource Management at Carmel College, Nuvem on 15/01/2020.
- Workshop on “Theories in Learning and Curriculam Design” from 9th April to 13th April 2018 at Sanskruti Bhavan, Panaji organized by DHE.
- Master Class Series on “Entrepreneurship Education” on 20th September 2018 at Sanskriti Bhavan, Panaji organized by DHE.
- Master Class Series on “Happy and engaged Classroom” on 14th December 2018 at Sanskriti
- Bhavan, Panaji organized by DHE.
- Trained polling staff for 2017 assembly elections, 2019 Loksabha elections and 2022 assembly elections as Master Trainer for North Goa District, Goa State.
Dr. Vanita Patil Gaude started her journey at Government College Sanquelim Goa in 1996. Her areas of interest are Direct & Indirect Taxation, Accounting, Cost and Management Accounting and Consumer Behaviour and Marketing. Being a doctorate from Goa University in Management, she has a vast experience in conducting field surveys and handling primary data. Her Ph. D. work is an extensive work on Influence of event image on the image of Goa. She has four publications in peer reviewed journals. She has presented her research work at numerous seminars and conferences in India, Turky and USA. She is the Coordinator of B. Voc (BFSI) has designed structure & syllabus of B. Voc in Banking, Financial Services and Insurance. She is actively a special invitee for B.Voc. Board of Studies of Goa University. Dr. Vanita Patil Gaude is also the Nodal officer of AISHYE and NIRF and Associate NCC Officer. She has been awarded Rajya Raksha Mantri Padak in 2020 for her contribution in NCC.
Ms. Manda Parab, Associate Professor in Commerce and HOD of Department of Commerce has 26 years of teaching experience at undergraduate level. She joined the department on 6th September 1996. Served as a member of major committees of the college like Student’s Welfare Committee, Examination Committee, ISA Monitoring Committee, Admissions Committee, etc.
Teaching Subjects/ Courses: Fundamentals of Cost Accounting, Accounting for Service Organisations, Management Accounting and Advanced Cost Accounting.
Research Interest: She has presented papers in National and International Seminars and also published papers in seminar proceedings and Research Journal of the College.
Participated in the following academic events (From 2020):
- Master Class series VII lecture on “How Higher Education can contribute to National Transformation” on 23rd January 2020 at DHE, Sanskruti Bhavan, Panaji.
- One day State level seminar on “Intellectual property: Issues, Challenges and Opportunities” on 11th February 2020 at Narayan Zantye College of Commerce, Bicholim.
- National webinar on “The impact of covid-19 lockdown on investments and the Indian capital markets” on 22nd May 2020 organised by VVM's Damodar college of Commerce and Economics,
- National webinar on “Problems faced by Migrant workers in India during COVID 19 Quarantine period” on 27th May 2020 organised by Saraswati Narayanan College, Madurai.
- National webinar on “Innovating Education and Educating for Innovation” on 30th May 2020 organised by P.E. Educational Service, Mumbai.
- National webinar on “Tough Times don't last, Tough people do” on 9th June 2020 organised by St. Andrew's College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Mumbai.
- International level webinar on “Pandemic: A Personal, Educational and Economic Revolution” on 10th June 2020 organised by P.E. Educational Service, Mumbai.
- Webinar on “Post COVID Investment Opportunities and Asset Allocation” on 15th June 2020 organised by VVM's Shree Damodar College of Commerce and Economics, Margao.
- Participated in a Webinar on, “A Pathway towards a successful career in Accounting, Finance and Commerce” on 19th June 2020, organized by Damodar College, Margao, Goa.
- Participated in International Level Webinar on, “Atmanirbhar Bharat – Need of an Hour” on 25th July 2020, organized by P.E. Educational service, Mumbai.
- Participated in State level Seminar on, “National Education Policy 2020” on 19th and 20th August 2020 organised by Govt. College, Sanquelim.
- Participated in Webinar on, “NAAC- Assessment and Accreditation Process” on 21st September 2020 organised by Directorate of Internal Quality Assesment, Goa University in collaboration with NAAC, Bangalore.
- Participated in Webinar on, “Features and Interface Training of NDLI” on 23rd September 2020 organised by DHE, Goa in collaboration with NDLI, IIT, Kharagpur.
- Participated in Webinar on, “Careers in Commerce” on 23rd July 2021 organised by VVM's Shree Damodar College of Commerce and Economics, Margao.
- Participated in Webinar on, “Use of Technology in Education” on 10th August 2021 organised by Directorate of Higher Education, Porvorim.
As HOD of Commerce Department (From July 2019 onwards), conducted the following events:
- Organised a talk on “Guidance for MBA” for S.Y.B.com and T.Y.B.com students on 4th January 2020 by Mr. Amey Lawande, Senior Accounting Controller (Manager Level), Accounting and Finance Department, DoubleA (1991) Public Company Limited, Thailand.
- Deputed two students of S.Y.B.com for Goa Inter Collegiate Business Quiz on 6th January 2020 organized by S.S Dempo College, Kujira, Bambolim, Goa, trained and accompanied by Ms. Pritam Naik, Asst. Prof. in Commerce.
- Organised a talk on ‘Importance of Insurance in Life’ for F.Y.B.com students on 14th January 2020 by Mr. Sachin Karpe and Mr. Sandeep Gokhale, both Insurance agents from Sanquelim, Goa.
- Organised ‘Startupedia’ by T.Y.B.com students under the guidance of Ms. Pritam Naik and Mr. Girish Kapadi, both Asst. Prof. in Commerce, on 8th February 2020, a programme where young entrepreneurs had put up their stalls with their enterprising ideas to sell the products. Besides various other games were also conducted on the above day.
- Deputed two students of F.Y.B.com to present a paper titled, ‘Consumer buying behavior towards online shopping’ for two days National Seminar on 14th and 15th February 2020 organised by Fr. Agnel College, Pilar, Goa, guided and accompanied by Mr. Ravindra Gaonkar, Asst. Prof. in Commerce.
- Organised a talk on ‘Career Guidance in Banking’ for T.Y.B.com and S.Y.B.bcom students on 7th March 2020 by Mr. Rupesh Maulingkar from Vision Academy, Mapusa.
- Besides above, the commerce students were deputed to attend the programs organized by various other Cells and Associations of the college like SIP, IQAC, etc.
- The students of TYBCOM have prepared an online video message wishing Teachers of our college, Happy Teachers Day on 5th September 2020.
- Organised a State level online quiz on account of ‘National Education Day’ on 11th November 2020 by Mr. Ravindra Gaunker (quiz coordinator), Asst. Prof. in Commerce. Total 161 students and others have participated in this quiz and were given e-certificates.
- Organised an online commerce quiz for the students of our college on 21st December 2020 by Mr. Girish Kapadi (quiz coordinator), Asst. Prof. in Commerce. Total 137 students participated in this quiz and were given e-certificates.
- A decadal research plan of Commerce department titled, “Transitioning from job-seeking based economy to the self-reliant economy” has been prepared and submitted on 12th November 2020 by Mr. Sangam Shet, Asst. Prof. in Commerce.
- Vanita Patil, Assoc. Prof. in Commerce, has prepared a proposal for Bachelor of Vocational in Banking, Insurance and Financial services and got permissions from DHE to start the above course from next year subject to approval from Goa University. The University has given approval for the above course from the academic year 2022-2023.
- Two students of B.com, Ms. Nilam Devasi and Ms. Chaitali Khandekar were deputed to participate in Essay writing competition on 20th July 2021, organized by The Marcel Urban Co-operative Credit Society, Marcel, Ms. Nilam Devasi secured 2nd place in the said competition.
- Besides above the commerce students were deputed to attend the webinars/ programs organized by various other Cells and Associations of the College and outside institutions.
- An online essay competition for the students of commerce was organized on 1st October 2021, wherein 06 students participated. The essay topics were: 1) Impact of E-Commerce on Businesses and 2) Reducing Import Dependence – Atmanirbhar Bharat. The essays were judged by Dr. Namdev Gawas, Assoc. Prof. in Commerce and Mr. Vitthal Shinde, Asst. Prof. in English. The first place was bagged by Ms. Nilam Devasi (T.Y.B.Com.), second place by Mr. Sahil Datye (T.Y.B.Com) and third place by Ms. Chetali Khandekar (S.Y.B.Com.)
- A guest lecture on the topic, “Career in Company Secretary” was organized on 28th October 2021 in the Seminar hall of the College. The resource person was Adv. S. Rama Rao from ICSI, Goa Chapter. Total 36 students attended the lecture.
- A guest lecture on the topic,”Financial Education” was organized on 27th November 2021. The resource person was Mr. Rajendra Dalvi from SEBI -NISM. Total 49 students of T.Y.B.Com attended the lecture.
- A 10 hours certificate program on ‘Financial Education’ was organized for the students of T.Y.B.Com. from 13th December 2021 to 17th December 2021 in the seminar hall of the College. The resource person was Mr. Rajendra Dalvi from SEBI-NISM. Total 50 students attended the program and were awarded certificates on clearing the online exam at the end of the course.
- An online quiz open for one day was organized on the occasion of World Consumer Rights Day on 15th March 2022 by Mr. Conrad D’Souza, Assistant Professor in Commerce. Total 106 students participated in the quiz.
Dr. Namdev M. Gawas is a teacher- researcher based in Goa. His area of research is Management Practices in Select Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in Goa. With almost three decades of teaching experience, the major part of which has been at the college level.
Dr. Namdev has positively impacted the lives of hundreds of students belonging to the Institutions in which he has worked. He has presented his research works and also published them at the International/National/State Level Fora. Dr. Namdev has also co-edited a book titled, “ Institution- Industry Interface: Developing Employability Skills” and is the author of books titled, “ Management Practices in Select Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises in Goa” & “ Section 5A of the I.T. Act for Goa: Insights and Implications”.
He has completed a Minor Research Project supported by the UGC, Pune. His experience in teaching, research and his good communication skills have made him a popular Resource Person/Guest Speaker for several events.
Dr. Namdev is currently working as Associate Professor in the Department of Commerce, Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Sanquelim, Goa since 2013.
Mr. Prashant Bhonsle, Associate Professor, Government College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Sanquelim, Goa, has joined Department of Commerce on 20th June 1998. He is teaching General Management, Introduction to Marketing, Advertisement Management and Strategic Management courses.
Participated in the following events:
- Master Classes Series on the topic “Transforming Teachers- A Critical need for this digital Century” organized by Directorate of Higher education on 10th 2018 at Panaji
- Master Classes Series on “Entrepreneurship Education” organized by Directorate of Higher Education on 20th September 2018
- Three Days workshop on “Outcome Based Education” organized by Directorate of Higher Education, Govt. of Goa from 30th to 1st Nov. 2018 at Sanskruti Bhavan Panaji.
- Three Days training session on “ASPIRE for Excellance” organized by Directorate of Higher Education, Government of Goa in association with IQAC of Government College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Sanquelim from 15th February to 17th February 2019.
- One day faculty development program on “Holistic Process in Teaching Learning using Neuro-linguistic programming” organized by the Directorate of Higher Education, Government of Goa in association with IQAC of Government College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Sanquelim on 27th March 2019.
- Two days State Level Seminar on “New Education Policy 2020” on 19th August & 20th August 2020 organised by Staff Academy and IQAC of Government College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Sanquelim.
- “Entrepreneurship is a choice – Role of EDC Goa.” organized by Department of Commerce, Rosary College of Commerce & Arts- Navelim Goa in Collabration with EDC Ltd., Goa on 25th March 2021.
- Faculty Development Program conducted by Goa State Innovation Council on “Innovation, Creativity and Prototyping” on 18th & 19th November 2021.
- Successfully completed 3 Credit Course on Principles of Management Conducted by SWAYAM – NPTEL from September to December 2020. (12 Week Course)
- Master Trainer for Polling Staff for 2017 Assembly Election during the month January & February 2017.
- Sector Officer for 2019 Lok Sabha Election and 2022 Assembly Election.
- Co-ordinator to Interact with Prominent Citizens, General public, chief Municipal officer, Councillors of Sanquelim Municipality on the topic “Creating Self-Sustainable Municipalities from 27th April 2020 till the end of May 2022.
- As Officer, assisted Incident Commander for Covid-duty at Valpoi from 7th May 2021 to 13th June 2021.
Mr. Khemraj Alias Sangam Shet, Assistant Professor in Commerce, at Department of Commerce, Government College, Sanquelim. He is currently teaching the courses E-commerce and E-accounting, Brand Management and Specialised Accounting for B.Com students. He has a total of four years of teaching experience at the college level. Member of various committees at college level such as Start-up and Incubation Centre, Feedback Committee, Admission Committee, etc. He has completed M. Com from Goa University’s affiliated college, cleared three times NET in Commerce, also cleared SET In Commerce as well as in Management, has also completed various certification courses such as Six Sigma from MSME (Ministry of Small Scale and Medium Enterprises) and Trade Finance from Indian Institute of Banking and Finance. He is pursuing his research as a part-time research Scholar at Goa University in the area of Market efficiency and Stock Prices.
Ms. Ramashanti Naik, Assistant Professor in Commerce at Department of Commerce, Govt. College, Sanquelim, Goa, has three publications in SCOPUS indexed journals. She has also presented her research work in four national and international conferences. She has received “Amity Award for Best Research Paper Presentation” in INBUSH 2021 organised by Amity University. She is actively involved in various committees of the College and also participated in seminars, workshops for enhancing her knowledge.
Mr. Conrad D’Souza, is a teacher- researcher based in Goa, with three years of teaching experience. He has positively impacted the lives of students belonging to the Institutions in which he has worked. He has presented his research work in National and International Conferences. He is currently working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Commerce, Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Sanquelim-Goa since December 2021. He is in-charge of some committees in the College and actively involved in framing the online quizzes for the students as well as organising state level activities for the students.
Ms. Pritam Naik, Assistant Professor in Department of Commerce has teaching experience of 5 years for under graduates and 3 years for Post Graduates. She did her Masters with specialisation in Accounting and Finance at Goa University and presently a research scholar at Goa University. Her area of research is tourism. She has also published papers at International/ National and State level and presented a paper at National level. Served as a member of major committees of the college like Student’s Welfare Committee, Project Committee, Short term Certificate Course Committee, Student Induction Programme Committee.
Student Progression, TY Result (2017-2021)
After their graduation in commerce, a significant number of students pursue their higher studies in reputed institutions in Goa and elsewhere. Mostly post-graduation courses like M.Com., M.B.A., etc. at Goa University and outside universities are chosen by the students for their progression. For this, the students undergo entrance tests at all levels of admissions.
Results of T.Y.B.Com from 2017-18 to 2020-21
Some of the distinguished alumnae include:
- Mr. Prashant Bhonsle (Associate Professor, Govt. College, Sanquelim)
- Ms. Manda Parab (Associate Professor, Govt. College, Sanquelim)
- Mr. Parag Khadilkar (Youngest Sarpanch of Village Panchyat Nagargao and Proprietor of Anantbrahma Distributor and also partner of S P Enterprises)
- Mr. Santosh Gawas (Teacher at Bhumika Higher Secondary, Poriem)
- Ms. Akifa Thakur (Proprietor of Café Haifa, Valpoi)
- Ms. Sudarshan Sundarrajan (Manager in a Company at United States)
- Ms. Sarita Sardesai (Chartered Accountant)
- Mr, Vaibhav kale (Cost Accountant)
- Mr. Ashok Naik (Incharge Principal of Honda Higher secondary)
- Mr. Samir Kale (Branch Manager of LIC, Ponda)
- Mr. Amrut Naik (Assistant Professor, DM’s College, Assagao, Mapusa)
- Mr. Sushant Haldankar (Director, Physical Education, DM’s College, Assagao, Mapusa)
- Dr. Bipin Bandekar (Associate Professor, Narayan Zantye College, Bicholim)
- Dr. Pravin Sawant (Associate Professor, Narayan Zantye College, Bicholim)
- Mr. Ashwin Lawande(Assistant Registrar, Goa University)
- Mr. Mandar Parab (PSI, Goa Police, Colvale)
- Mr. Ramesh Sinari (Principal, Vividha Higher Secondary, Navelim)
- Mr. Eknath Mandrekar (Teacherand Former Vice Principal, Vividha Higher Secondary, Navelim)
- Ms. Rupa Shirodkar (Chairperson, Inner Wheel Club, Bicholim)
- Mr. Shivanand Tople (Manager and Partner, Tople Caterers, Bicholim)
- Mr. Jayesh Vernekar (Proprietor, Jayesh Jewellars, Bicholim)
- Mr. Amey Lawande, Senior Accounting Controller (Manager Level), Accounting and Finance Department, DoubleA (1991) Public Company Limited, Thailand.
- Ms. Sarita Marathe (Chartered Accountant)
- Ms. Lata Satardekar (Chartered Accountant)
- Ms. Vanita Naik (Chartered Accountant)
- Ms. Mamata Joshi (Chartered Accountant)
- Ms. Vanita Thakur (Chartered Accountant)
- Ms. Namita Kamat (Chartered Accountant)
- Mr. Amit Parulekar (Managing Director of Saraswat Bank)
- Mr. Upendra Joshi ( OSD to Chief Minister of Goa)
- Ms. Deepti Pednekar ((Chartered Accountant)
- Mr. Bomu Kale (Financial Advisor and Manager
- Mr. Sandesh Naik (Assoiate Professor at DM’s College, Assagao, Bardez)
- Mr. Subraj Kanekar (Director, Directorate of Accounts, Panaji)
- Ms. Chyaya Shetye (Assistant Professor, Dempo College, Kujira, Bambolim)
- Mr. Irfan Kazi (Interior Designer, Dubai)
And the list continues with many Proprietors, Businessmen, Teachers, ………
Program Specific Outcomes
- Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Sanquelim, Goa
- Department Of Commerce
- Programme Specific Outcomes
- B.Com. Honours Programme
- Programme Specialisation
Courses (Semester wise)
CC1 General Management (UCOC101)
CC2 Financial Accounting (UCOC102)
CC3 Micro Economics (UCEC101)
CC4 Commercial Arithmetic (UCAC101)
AECC1 Spoken English (UCNA101)
AECC2 Environmental Studies (UESA101)
GE1 Principles and Practices of Accounting (UCOG107)
GE1 Marketing Management (UCOG105)
CC5 Introduction to Marketing (UCOC103)
CC6 Financial Statement Analysis and Interpretation (UCOC104)
CC7 Managerial Economics (UCEC102)
CC8 Commercial Arithmetic II (UCAC102)
AECC3 Business Communications (UCNA102)
AECC4 Environmental Studies II ( UESA102)
GE2 Specialised Accounting (UCOG117)
GE2 Tourism and Hospitality Management (UCOG 116)
CC9 Business Finance (UCOC105)
CC10 Fundamentals of Cost Accounting (UCOC106)
CC11 Entrepreneurship Development (UCOC107)
SEC 1 Business Law (with Practical Component) (UCLS101)
SEC1 New Venture Planning (UCOS101)
GE3 Retail Management (UCOG104)
GE3 Indian Capital Markets (UCOG123)
GE4 Consumer Behaviour (UCOG132)
GE4 Training and Development (UCOG131)
CC12 Fundamentals of Investment (UCOC108)
CC13 Income Tax (UCOC109)
CC14 Accounting for Service Organisations (UCOC110)
SEC2 Companies Act and IPR Laws (with practical component) (UCLS102)
SEC2 Collective bargaining and Negotiation skills (UCOS102)
GE5 E-Commerce and E-Accounting (UCOG138)
GE5 Event Management (UCOG139)
GE6 Salesmanship and Sales Management (UCOG147)
GE6 Compensation Management (UCOG146)
CC15 Industrial Management (UCOC111)
CC16 Indian Monetary and Financial Systems (UCEC103)
DSE1 Accounting – Income tax and GST (UCOD01)
DSE1 Cost and Management Accounting – Cost Accounting I(UCOD102)
DSE1 Business Management – International Marketing Management (UCOD 103)
DSE2 Accounting – Auditing (UCOD105)
DSE2 Cost and Management Accounting – Cost Accounting II (UCOD106)
DSE2 Business Management – Retail Management Strategies (UCOD107)
DSE3 Accounting – Government Accounting (UCOD109)
DSE3 Cost and Management Accounting – Techniques of Costing (UCOD110)
DSE3 Business Management - Advertising Management (UCOD111)
DSE4 Accounting – Financial Reporting (UCOD113)
DSE4 Cost and Management Accounting – Management Accounting (UCOD114)
DSE4 Business Management – Services Marketing (UCOD115)
CC17 Human Resource Management (UCOC112)
CC16 International Economics (UCEC104)
DSE5 Accounting – Advanced Company Accounts (UCOD117)
DSE5 Cost and Management Accounting – Advanced Cost Accounting I (UCOD118)
DSE5 Business Management –Financial Management II(UCOD119)
DSE6 Accounting - Accounting I (UCOD121)
DSE6 Cost and Management Accounting – Cost and Management Audit (UCOD122)
DSE6 Business Management – Strategic Management (UCOD123)
DSE7 Accounting – Accounting II (UCOD125)
DSE7 Cost and Management Accounting – Advanced Cost Accounting II (UCOD126)
DSE7 Business Management – Supply Chain and Logistics Management (UCOD127)
DSE8 Accounting – Corporate Accounting and Tax Planning (UCOD132)
DSE8 Business Management – Brand Management (UCOD129)
F.Y.B.COM. Semester I
|Course||Title And Code||
On Completion Of This Course The Learner Will Be Able To:
|Commerce Core 1||General Management (COC101)||1. Explain the various concepts and areas of management.
2. Describe and differentiate the different types of managerial decisions.
3. Recall change management, conflict management and identify different types of conflict.
4. Interpret various emerging areas in management such as green management, supply chain management, etc.
|Commerce Core 2||Financial Accounting (COC102)||1. Familiar with single-entry bookkeeping profit determination.
2. Identify tangible fixed assets and calculate depreciation costs for fixed assets.
3. Understand the accounts for issuing shares and buy back of shares.
4. Calculate and able to pass journal entries concerning the redemption of preference shares
|Commerce Generic Elective 1||Marketing Management (COG105)||1. Use the marketing mix as a framework for making marketing decisions.
2. Understand the need, importance, and process of marketing planning and management.
3. Know consumer behaviour and its decision-making process.
4. Make decisions about products, prices, promotional mixes and distribution.
|Commerce Generic Elective 1||Principle and Practice of Accounting (UCOG107)||1. Understand the basic concepts, conventions, principles along with international financial reporting practices and apply the same wherever possible.
2. Understand the elements, qualitative characteristics and prepare the financial statements.
3. Apply accounting standards to the respective situations.
4. Understand the contemporary issues in accounting.
F.Y.B.COM. Semester II
|Course||Title And Code||
On Completion Of This Course The Learner Will Be Able To:
|Commerce Core 5||Introduction to Marketing (COC103)||1. Explain the different concept & strategies in the field of marketing
2. Differentiate between different kinds of goods.
3. Explain and apply marketing environment and segmentation in business.
4. Examine the various marketing decisions and describe the new trends in Marketing.
|Commerce Core 6||Financial Statement Analysis and Interpretations (COC104)||1. Acquire conceptual knowledge of basics of accounting
2. Equip with the knowledge of accounting process and preparation of final accounts
3. Apply the Financial Statement Analysis associate with Financial Data
4. Prepare cash flow statement.
|Commerce Generic Elective 2||Tourism and Hospitality Management (COG116)||1. Understand the basic concepts of travel and tourism and discuss the terminology used
2. Have an insight into how travel and tourism evolved over a period of time and reached the modern stage.
3. enhance their knowledge in various areas related to tourism and how it affects the destination.
4. Understand the selected issues that currently influence the tourism industry both locally and globally.
|Commerce Generic Elective 2||Specialised Accounting (UCOG117)||1. Understand the basic concepts, types, clauses, procedure and prepare the statement of claim.
2. Understand and prepare Voyage Account.
3. Prepare the Income and Expenditure Account and Balance Sheet of Non-For-Profit Organisations.
4. Understand the concept of Lease and Account for Lease in the books of Lessor and Lease.
S.Y.B.COM. Semester III
|Course||Title And Code||
On Completion Of This Course The Learner Will Be Able To:
|Commerce Core 9||Business Finance (UCOC105)
|1. Understand the significance of business finance and financial planning
2. Classify capital into fixed and working capital for a company
3. Differentiate the companies which are overcapitalized, undercapitalized and have balanced capitalization.
4. Categorize the companies based on type of Capital Structure, Capital Gearing and Trading on Equity.
|Commerce Core 10||Fundamentals of Cost Accounting (COC106)||1. Acquire conceptual knowledge of cost and cost accounting.
2. Prepare cost sheet and estimated cost sheet for the products and services.
3. Apply contract costing, a method of cost accounting to project business performance of construction companies.
4. Apply Process costing, a method of cost accounting to project business performance of manufacturing industries doing production using sequential operations.
|Commerce Core 11||Entrepreneurship development (COC107)||1. Understand the concept of entrepreneur and entrepreneurship with the functions, qualities and skills required for an entrepreneur and discover the entrepreneur’s role in economic development.
2. Choose different business opportunities from different sources and apply the various techniques of market research to do business.
3. Formulate the project idea with feasibility analysis and design the project report for financing the business plans.
4. Develop innovation in entrepreneurship and identify the incubation centers in Goa.
|Commerce SEC 1||New Venture Planning (COS101)||1. Discover the business opportunities and innovative ideas for creating new ventures.
2. Identify the legal challenges in setting up new ventures
3. Evaluate the new venture proposals and various sources of finances available for an entrepreneur in starting a new venture.
4. Develop the business plan for new ventures
|Commerce SEC 1||Business Laws (UCLS101)||1. Identify and interpret important business legislations.
2. Recognize various modes of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
3. Develop basic legal knowledge necessary to tackle business and social problems.
4. Develop drafting skills.
|Commerce Generic Elective 3||Retail Management (COG124)||1. To understand basic concepts of retailing and Indian and global scenario of retailing.
2. To identify and differentiate various retail formats available in market.
3. To describe the store location and identify factors to be taken into consideration for selecting location.
4. To understand designing of store and layout of store.
|Commerce Generic Elective 3||Indian Capital Market (COG123)||1. To understand the environment and recent developments in Indian Securities Market.
2. To understand the mechanism of primary market of Indian Securities market.
3. To understand the mechanism of Secondary market of Indian securities market.
4. To understand the environment of derivatives market in India.
|Commerce Generic Elective 4||Consumer Behaviour (COG132)||1. State the scope & characteristics of Indian consumers & enumerate the benefits of consumerism.
2. Identify the determinants of consumer behavior and list its environmental influence on it.
3. Appraise the factors influencing consumer buying behavior and apply online marketing in real life situation.
4. Discuss consumer protection act 1986, and summarize the rights and responsibilities of consumers in India.
|Commerce Generic Elective 4||Training and Development (COG131)||1. To understand the training and learning environment of a business organization
2. To understand the Process of training needs assessment and curriculum development
3. To evaluate the various training methods undertaken by business organizations with case studies.
4. To understand the Evaluation of training and identify emerging trends in training and development in India.
S.Y.B.COM. Semester IV
|Course||Title And Code||
On Completion Of This Course The Learner Will Be Able To:
|Commerce Core 12||Fundamentals of Investments (COC108)||1: Understand investment environment in India.
2: Analyse equity and debt instruments in investment decision.
3: Create and analyse investment portfolio.
4: Understand financial derivatives markets in India & role of SEBI and stock exchanges in investor protection.
|Commerce Core 13||Income Tax (Direct Tax) (COC109)||1. Explain the basic concepts of income tax, scope of income, residential status and list the incomes exempted from tax.
2. Solve the elementary problems of income from salaries.
3. Solve the problems of income from profits and gains of business or profession restricted to few sections.
4. Identify permissible deductions under chapter VI- A and calculate the tax liability of an individual assesses.
|Commerce Core 14||Accounting for Service Organisations (COC110)||1. Describe Banking companies, General Insurance companies, Hotels and Underwriters and familiarize with the workings of above mentioned companies.
2. Identify the legal provisions in preparation of various accounts.
3. Prepare different schedules in accordance with the provisions of law applicable to these companies.
4. Prepare Balance sheet and Profit and Loss account applying generally accepted accounting principles along with journal entries and ledger accounts.
|Commerce SEC 2||Companies Act and IPR Laws (CLS102)||1. The learner will able to recognize and interpret important provisions necessary to regulate Framework of Companies.
2. The learner will able to categorize management of Companies.
3. The learner will able to interpret various provisions of Intellectual property.
4. The learner will able to develop basic legal knowledge necessary to match with corporate standards and drafting skills.
|Commerce SEC 2||Collective Bargaining and Negotiations Skills (UCOS102)||1. To explain concepts of collective bargaining and identify critical issues in collective bargaining.
2. To understand the pre-requisites for successful collective bargaining in any country, levels of
bargaining and difficulties in bargaining process.
3. To identify and understand the negotiation skills.
4. To understand the different approaches and phases in collective bargaining and understanding
collective bargaining and the emerging scenario.
|Commerce Generic Elective 5||Event Management (COG139)||1. Familiarize themselves with the key concepts of managing an event.
2. Learn and understand various aspects of events and types of events.
3. Understand the skills and challenges faced in managing an event.
4. Plan a proposal on management of an event.
|Commerce Generic Elective 5||E-Commerce and E-Accounting (UCOG138)||1. Understand the various terms of E-Commerce and M-Commerce.
2. Understand the term E-Marketing and conduct the same with E-Customer Relationship Management and E-Supply Chain Management.
3. Understand and use E-Payment systems.
4. Apply and prepare the accounting statement by using accounting software.
|Commerce Generic Elective 6||Compensation Management (UCOG146)||1. To understand concepts of compensation, consequences of pay dissatisfaction, performance and
2. Get the knowledge of developing strategic compensation alternative and can differentiate
compensation policies in India.
3. To identify, describe and understand components of compensation in India and internationally.
4. To understand the payroll accounting adopted in companies.
|Commerce Generic Elective 6||Salesmanship and Sales Management (COG147)||1. Explain the basic concepts of salesmanship.
2. Understand the role of sales management in an organisation.
3. Demonstrate a clear understanding of sales organisation structure.
4. Develop a plan for organizing, staffing and training a sales force.
T.Y.B.COM. Semester V
|Course||Title And Code||
On Completion Of This Course The Learner Will Be Able To:
|Commerce Core (CC 15)||Industrial Management (UCOC111)
|1. Understand and explain the concepts of Industrial Management, Scientific Management, Plant Location and Plant Layout.
2. Describe the factors affecting Industrial Productivity and Work Environment.
3. Explain the concept, principles and methods of Total Quality Management.
4. Examine the causes of industrial accidents, code of practices for their prevention and list the legal provisions for occupational health.
|Cost Accounting (DSE 1)||Cost Accounting (COG124)||1. To understand, identify and diffentiate cost concepts and technology.
2. To describe material cost, material control and calculate material purchase price.
3. To understand storekeeping, documents used in stores, inventory control system and calculate stock level and Economic order quantities.
4. To understand items of expenses to be considered for deciding cost of materials and to calculate methods of pricing issue of materials.
|Accounting (DSE 1)||Income Tax, Service Tax and Goa Value Added Tax (COD101)||1. Understand different heads of income and its methodology of working.
2. Determine total taxable income of Individual assessee covering various heads of
income, and compute tax liability after availing of applicable deduction and
3. Get insight into schemes Clubbing Of Income, Advance Payment Of Tax, Filing Of
Return & Assessment, Set Off & Carry Forward Of Losses.
4. Gain knowledge on basics concepts of Goods & Services Tax Act 2017
|Business Management (DSE 1)||International Marketing Management (COD 103)||1. List the features, objectives and importance of international marketing management.
2. Analyze and compare international market entry strategies and export promotion organization.
3. Identify the factors affecting international product pricing and point out the types of dumping.
4. State the types of international market intermediaries and enumerate the concept of international advertising, trade fairs and exhibitions.
|Cost Accounting (DSE 2)||Cost Accounting II (COD106)||1. Recognize and apply appropriate principles and concepts relevant to cost accounting.
2. Develop, restructure and apply cost accounting approaches to solve practical problems.
3. Calculate wages and allowances using costing methods.
4. Identify and allocate overhead.
|Accounting (DSE 2)||Auditing I (UCOD 105)||C. Identify the scope, objectives and various classes of audit.
2. Enumerate the procedure for evaluation of internal control system.
3. Prepare the process of vouching, verification & valuation.
4. Describe the process of conducting tax audit, management audit, cost audit and forensic audit for different organizations.
|Business Management (DSE 2)||Retail Management Strategies (UCOD107)||1. Explain Retail Major Decisions
2. Describe the buying behaviour of retail consumers and examine the changing trends among them.
3. Differentiate between standardization and customization of customer service.
4. Discuss retail strategies and their implementation process.
|Cost Accounting (DSE 3)||Techniques of Costing (COD110)||1. Prepare Statement of Marginal Costing and compute Marginal cost equation P/V ratio Break even analysis, Margin of safety.
2. Use Cost-Volume-Profit techniques for Managerial Decisions (DSE 3)
3. Gain Knowledge of Standard Costing & Perform Cost Variance Analysis
4. Acquire Basic Knowledge of Management Control System.
|Accounting (DSE 3)||Government Accounting (UCOD109)||1. Familiarize and Understand the accounting system of the Government of India.
2. Prepare the financial statements of local self-government bodies.
3. Apply and evaluate various projects by applying project evaluation techniques.
4. Prepare the accounts of Statutory corporations.
|Business Management (DSE 3)||Advertising Management (COD111)||1. Explain various advertising concept
2. Describe the layout and principles of Layout in building advertisement
3. Examine the role of advertising agency
4. Differentiate between Pre-testing and Post testing method of measuring advertising effectiveness.
|Cost Accounting (DSE 4)||Management Accounting (COD114)||1. Understand the application of Management Accounting and its tools.
2. Prepare functional budgets to determine the sales and production capacity and cash position of the business at a given period of time having flexibility in its implementation.
3. Apply capital budgeting techniques in long term investment decision making.
4. Understand the concept of Target Costing aiming for cost reduction and Enterprise Resource Planning software that manages day to day business activities.
|Accounting (DSE 4)||Financial Reporting (COD113)||1. Apply Accounting Standard: AS 1, AS 18, AS 9, AS10, AS16 and AS 20.
2. Understand Indian corporate financial reporting system.
3. Differentiate between Indian GAAP and US GAAP & IFRS and IND-AS.
4. Prepare value added statement, calculate human resource value and comment on reportable segments of business.
|Business Management (DSE 4)||Services Marketing – II (COD115)||1. Get Acquainted With Tourism And Hospitality Services And Explain Them.
2. Describe Various Services Offered By Banks
3. Gain Knowledge & Explain Insurance Services, Its Types And Polices.
4. Familiarize & Explain About the Emerging Trends in Services Marketing Like Green Marketing, Health Care Services, Media Services, Courier Services and Web
T.Y.B.COM. Semester VI
|Course||Title And Code||
On Completion Of This Course The Learner Will Be Able To:
|Commerce Core 17||Human Resource Management (UCOC112)||1. Explain the concept and processes of Human Resource Management.
2. Describe systems of wage payment, forms of employee empowerment and workers’ participation in management.
3. Understand the objectives of Labour Welfare and list the functions of Trade Unions.
4. Examine the recent trends in Human Resource Management.
|Cost Accounting (DSE 5)||Advanced Cost Accounting I (COD118)||1. Implement job costing and batch costing in industries.
2. Apply operating costing in hotel, entertainment and transport industries.
3. Perform reconciliation of costing profit with financial profit and find disagreements.
4. Understand the concepts of cost control and cost reduction.
|Accounting (DSE 5)||Advanced Company Accounts (UCOD117)||1. Prepare Company Final Accounts as per Indian Companies Act, 2013.
2. Understand legal aspects and apply accounting procedures to solve problems on Internal Reconstruction.
3. Solve accounting problems on valuation of Goodwill and Shares.
4. Understand and use accounting procedures to solve problems on Mergers, Acquisitions and External Reconstruction.
|Business Management (DSE 5)||Financial Management (COD119)||1. Measure cost of capital and take decision related to capital structure.
2. Apply the concepts of the various investment evaluation techniques for capital investment decision making.
3. Understand importance and theories of dividend decision.
4. Calculate and interpret operating, financial and combined leverages.
|Cost Accounting (DSE 6)||Cost & Management Audit (UCOD 122)||1. Identify the nature, scope, concept and objectives of cost audit.
2. Indicate the important sections of companies Act 2013 relating to cost audit and list the duties and liabilities under the companies Act 2013 and the cost and works accountants Act 1959.
3. Plan the cost audit and describe the techniques of cost audit.
4. Point out the cost accounting record rules and cost audit report rules.
|Accounting (DSE 6)||Accounting I (COD121)||1. Analyse valuing loss of stock in fire accidents, short workings and recoupment of short workings in Royalty accounts.
2. Understand of instalment sale accounting procedures.
3. Develop analytical skills in department trading and profit and loss account and balance sheets, stocks and debtors system and final accounts.
4. Prepare accounting statements in the books of head office regarding dependant and Independent branch.
|Business Management (DSE 6)||Strategic Management (COD123)||1. Explain strategic management and classify the different types of strategies used in business.
2. Describe vision, mission and objectives for organization.
3. Explain the different strategic analysis model
4. Describe the strategic implementation and control process
|Cost Accounting (DSE 7)||Advanced Cost Accounting II (COD126)||1. Prepare Inter Process Profits & Statement Of Equivalent Production
2. Understand Various Aspects of Contract Costing And Prepare Contract Account
3. Pass Journal Entries of Integral Costing And Prepare Ledgers of Non – Integral Accounts
4. Understand & Explain Various Aspects of Uniform Costing, Inter Firm Comparison And Responsibility Accounting
|Accounting (DSE 7)||Accounting – II (COD125)||1. Get Acquainted With Systems Of Accounting And Prepare Accounts Of Different Professionals.
2. Gain Skills to Prepare Investment Accounts
3. Pass Journal Entries And Prepare Ledger Accounts Regarding Redemption of Debentures.
4. Understand Liquidation of Companies and Prepare Liquidator’s Final Statement of Account.
|Business Management (DSE 7)||Supply Chain & Logistic Management (UCOD 127)||1. Explain the nature, concept and importance of logistic management.
2. Point out the fundamentals of supply chain management and assess the process tools for it.
3. Appraise the concept of demand management and analyze the forecasting techniques.
4. List the components of supply chain management and its use in it.
|Accounting (DSE 8)||Corporate Accounting and Tax Planning (UCOD132)||1. Explain Concepts of holding Company & Prepare Consolidated balance sheet as per AS21.
2. Describe basis of apportionment of profits between pre and post incorporation, determine profits(loss)prior to incorporation and preparation of columnar statement of profits & loss.
3. Explain concepts of Accounting for employee stock option plan and will pass journal entries.
4. Elucidate tax planning provisions and mechanisms available for corporate entities.
|Business Management (DSE 8)||Brand Management (UCOD129)||1. Familiarize and Understand with the concept of brand and its evolution.
2. Understand and apply branding strategies.
3. Understand and Apply the brand communication, extension and equity techniques.
4. Evaluate the brand performance and value the brand.
The Department of Commerce is always in forefront in doing society activities. The department faculty has organized a cleanliness drive at Harvalem waterfall on 21st March 2022. The glimpses of the same are listed in this file.
The Department visited Old Age Home at Nashinola, Aldona, Goa on 23rd March 2022 and distributed towels and eatables to the old people residing there and also spend valuable time with them.